Issues with Rotating Zone for a Turbofan Engine Model

Attempting to simulate a jet engine turbofan engine based on the Rolls Royce Trent models using the subsonic or compressible solvers.

How the CAD looks-

Symmetry conditions-

Slip walls -

Rotating Zones -
for example:

Facing an axial flow of 150 ms^-1 with the currently solver being the subsonic type.

Error logs showing issues:
The rotating zone’s boundaries are too close to the faces that are supposed to rotate. Combined with the selected mesh settings, this leads to an insufficiently resolved model. Please use finer mesh settings or increase the size of the rotating zone and retry. A wall boundary condition must be assigned to all the faces that should remain static and are located inside the enlarged rotating zone.

Run I am referring to.

I suspect I need to alter the rotating zone sizes, but have little idea of what the best way to proceed would be.

Mesh Settings:

with Mesh Fineness of 1/10 outside the cartesian box:

Cannot provide any links to the project due to user restrictions.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @phdeevanapalli, thanks for posting on the forum!

As I see it, you have created MRF Rotating Zones that intersect symmetry walls - which won’t work. In these sorts of cases, unfortunately you can’t apply symmetry if the walls intersect the rotating zones and should simulate the entire model.

I’d advise you to start off your simulation with a simpler model at first and grasp the concept of how to use these sorts of advanced concepts and then build up your simulation on top of that!

Best,
Igor

Would like to clarify how the rotating zone would need to be placed: if you could please take a look at the placement of it, it appears to be located away from the symmetry face, and yet the same error still pops up!

Hi @phdeevanapalli,

Unfortunately without the project link I cannot pinpoint exactly where the problem lies. I also couldn’t find it in your profile.

Could you kindly share you project with support?

In order to do this you have to click on the “Private” button and mark the Share with support box:

Make sure to also post the URL to your project here!

However, the simulation of a turbofan is not an easy task and I’d advise you to first start off with a simpler simulation in order to grasp the concept of rotating zones before continuing with your simulation.

Best,
Igor

You can also search for public projects for reference: Public Simulation Projects Library | SimScale | Page 1