Constant Temperature in a CHT (IBM) Analysis

Hi,

I’m trying to simulate the temperature inside a device to determine the best placement of fans. As the geometry is rather complex I’m using the IBM solver with “External flow” to model the air.

Inside the device are a number of heat sources and a water boiler. The heat sources can easily be added by power sources (under advanced concepts). But for the boiler, I would have liked to set a constant temperature to the outside wall. This is however not possible as decribed [here] (Contacts in Conjugate Heat Transfer | Contacts | SimScale).

There is a nice workaround described here. But I think this only works for the non IBM solver. Any ideas how I could approach this problem?

Thanks!

Hi @tlanz, thanks for posting on the forum :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if I follow why the workflow provided there shouldn’t work in your case, could you share a link to your project so that we can take a closer look at it?

You could use the workflow there (splitting the surfaces) and apply a wall boundary condition to the one where you need a fixed temperature value:

Best,
Igor

Hi Igor,

My mistake was to create the flow domain in the simulation with a primitive body and the “external flow” domain slider turned on in the simulation setup. This way you can’t delete the body and you don’t have access to the fluid faces.

I fixed this by creating the fluid region in CAD. Flow Volume → External didn’t work. But creating a box and subtracting the internals with a boolean operation did work. Finally, deleting the boiler to create an “empty volume” was possible.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Thomas

That’s great to hear Thomas! If you need any further help, make sure to make another forum post :slight_smile: